Your diet is the crucial component of fat loss, and about 80% to 90% of the success or failure will be attributed to the foods and drinks you consume.
However, a diet is not a simple deprivation of certain foods, but a lifestyle decision, so you should choose to change the food you eat, the amount, and the frequency of your meals.
The following 25 foods are the best ones you can consume when trying to burn excess fat and lose weight:
1. Green Tea
Green tea is one of the best ways to help the fat-burning process, and it is rich in caffeine and EGCG or Epigallocatechin gallate, both of which help weight loss.
Pomegranate is rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, folate and potassium. The high fiber content helps digestion, and the dietary nitrates boost blood flow and improve exercise performance.
3. Chicken Breast
Chicken breast is one of the best protein sources, and it suppresses appetite, boosts metabolism, and helps weight loss.
4. Cruciferous Vegetables
Cruciferous vegetables such as arugula, broccoli, Bok choy, collard greens, kale, daikon radish, watercress, radish, turnip, and mustard greens are excellent for weight loss, as they are low in fat and calories, but high in vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid, carotenoids, and fiber.
Cinnamon is a potent antioxidant-rich food which powerful anti-inflammatory properties, that positively affects weight, lowers fasting blood glucose levels, and LDL cholesterol, and boosts lean muscle mass.
Eggs are an excellent protein and omega-3 fatty acids source, and even though they are high in cholesterol, they don’t affect the cholesterol levels.
Namely, it has been found that the liver actually produces more cholesterol and when we eat eggs it lowers the liver’s production of cholesterol so that evens out things. Also, they are low in calories and carbs.
Avocados are low in sugar, but rich in monounsaturated fats which energize the body and accelerate metabolism.
8. Beans and Legumes
They are rich in protein and fiber, so they create a feeling of satiety, suppress appetite, and prevent blood sugar spikes.
9. Plain Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt is lower in sodium, sugar, and carbohydrates and higher in protein than traditional yogurt, and contains high amounts of probiotics that ensure digestive health.
10. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is abundant in fatty acids that lower cholesterol, improve brain function, and reduce epilepsy seizures. The saturated fats are mostly medium chain triglycerides (or MCT) that are easily digested by the body and quickly converted to energy.
11. Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are extremely nutritious and rich in fiber and protein. They contain high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and will help you easily shred pounds.
Berries are high in antioxidants like vitamin C, A, and K, and dietary fiber, so they keep you full and slow down the absorption of sugar.
Salmon is high in nutrients that help weight loss, and the high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids improve mood and the function of the brain, help digestion, optimize the function of the thyroid, and fight inflammation.
Grapes are high in phytonutrients like phenols and polyphenol, which prevent obesity-causing inflammation and metabolic diseases. Moreover, polyphenols improve insulin sensitivity and prevent fructose-induced oxidative stress.
15. Leafy Greens
Greens like kale, spinach, and romaine lettuce are loaded with fiber and nutrients and low in calories and carbs, so they keep you full and lower the risk of weight gain.
16. Apple Cider Vinegar
It is low in calories and rich in acetic acid that prevents fat accumulations have also shown that acetic acid lowers postprandial glycemia and improves insulin sensitivity in the case of type-2 diabetes.
17. Sweet Potato
Sweet potato is abundant in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients that improve eyesight, heart and digestive system and has a lower Glycemic Index. It is also high in dietary fiber that regulates blood sugar and helps digestion.
A hot bowl of soup is a delicious, nutritious and filling alternative to other types of cooked food.
Nuts are loaded with healthy fats (omega-3 fatty acids), protein and fiber, so they are ideal when you are trying to lose weight. Yet, the ones with the least calories include almonds, cashews, and pistachios, and almonds are particularly beneficial.
20. Lean Beef
Beef is a rich protein source, so it drastically lowers cravings and provides high amounts of vitamin B12, iron, zinc, vitamin B6, niacin and phosphorus.
21. Red Pepper
Red peppers burn belly fat, suppress appetite, and lead to weight loss, due to the presence of capsaicin, that creates the burning sensation in the mouth and triggers thermogenesis.
22. Pear and Apple
Pears and apples are high in fiber, and low in calories, so they will keep you full longer and help you lose weight.
It is one of the most potent fat-burning foods, and it suppresses appetite, lowers insulin levels in the blood, and prevents the storage of fat.
24. Whole Grains
The moderate consumption of whole grains like quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, barley, whole oats, wild rice, sorghum, and whole grain cord lowers the risk of heart disease and provides high amounts of nutrients.
However, always have in mind that your diet should be balanced, rich in nutrient-dense foods, the sizes of your meals should be moderate, and the amount of foods you consume should match your activity level during the day.
As the weight loss industry is rich in myths, the following evidence-based tips will be of great help as well:
- Drink plenty of water, especially before meals, to speed up metabolism and prevent overeating
- Researchers have shown that using smaller plates have helped people lower the amount of food they consume
- You will benefit a lot from a portion control and counting calories
- Avoid sodas, sugary drinks, and fruit juice
- Focus on whole, single-ingredient foods, which are naturally filling and help you lose excess body weight
- Don’t go on a diet, but aim to incorporate healthy dietary habits into your lifestyle, in order to become a healthier, happier and fitter person
- Avoid keeping unhealthy snacks at home and replace them with whole fruits, nuts, baby carrots, yogurt, and hard-boiled eggs
- Take probiotic supplements containing bacteria of the Lactobacillus subfamily have been shown to lower fat mass
- Try intermittent fasting, which is an eating pattern in which people cycle between periods of fasting and eating, and leads to amazing weight loss results
- You should try taking glucomannan supplements, as this fiber type has been linked to weight loss
- You should drastically lower the amount of sugar you consume, in order to lower the risk of obesity, and conditions like type 2 diabetes and heart disease
- Reduce the intake of refined carbs, as they spike blood sugar rapidly, leading to hunger, cravings and increased food intake
- Make sure you get enough sleep
- Do aerobic exercises and lift weights
- Chew more slowly to eat fewer calories and boost the production of hormones linked to weight loss
- Eggs for breakfast are a great option, as they will help you lose weight and help you eat less during the rest of the day
- Drink a high-quality, black coffee, as it is high in antioxidants and can help you burn fat and accelerate metabolism
- Supplement with whey protein to boost muscle mass and speed up the weight loss process.
DISCLAIMER: THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.