Both lemons and limes belong to the family of citrus fruits, but they are more different than you have imagined.
The first difference between lemons(Citrus Lemon) and limes (Citrus Aurantifolia) is the size, as lemons are much bigger. Lemons have an oval shape, and limes are round.
Moreover, they differ in the taste too, as lemons are sour, and limes can be either sweet or bitter. Lemons and limes are loaded with nutrients like potassium, folate, vitamins C and A, antioxidants, and flavonoids.
Both fruits are abundant in vitamin C, but lemons have twice the amount of it. While an average lime has 29mg of this vitamin, an average lemon contains 53mg. Lemons are also higher in potassium and folate, but limes are richer in vitamin A.
Both fruits are alkalizing in nature, so they detoxify the body, which is highly beneficial, as experts claim that toxins are the main causes for the development of health conditions and diseases, like heart diseases, and type-2 diabetes.
Limes and lemons are rich in limonoids, that fight carcinogenic compounds.
They also share numerous other medicinal properties, and offer the following health benefits:
- They detoxify the body
- They both relieve asthma
- Their anti-viral properties fight infections and colds
- The consumption of a glass of water with the juice of lemon or lime treats constipation
- They help digestion, and treat bloating and belching
- A few tablespoons of their juice in a glass of water will relieve heartburn
- Their juice alkalizes the body and treats various inflammatory conditions, like rheumatism, arthritis, sciatica, gout
- Rub the lemon or lime peel on the dry, scaly skin to soften and moisturize it
- Mix some diluted lemon or lime juice with some salt and drink it to treat the pain due to gum infections and swellings
- Rub their slices over the feet and soles to soothe the pain and detoxify the body
- Soak the feet in warm water with a few tablespoons of their juice to help sleep, relax, and treat the tired legs
Therefore, both these fruits are extremely healthy and delicious, so make sure you consume them regularly and reap all their health benefits.
DISCLAIMER: THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.